Jewish tradition holds that it is those who are buried on the Mount of Olives who will be the first to be resurrected.
Archaeological site of ancient Jerusalem, named after King David, who captured this Jebusite city called Salem and turned it into his capital in approximately 1000 B.C. (2 Samuel 5: 6-10).
The location of two huge pools that provided water to the Temple Mount. Near these two large pools were five small pools referred to in the New Testament as the spot where Jesus healed the man who waited by the curative waters for 38 years.
The church was built by the Crusaders between 1131 and 1138. It was erected over the site of a grotto believed by the Crusaders to be the birthplace of the Virgin Mary, mother of Jesus. It is dedicated to Anna and Joachim, the parents of Saint Mary, who according to tradition lived here. After Saladin’s conquest of Jerusalem in 1187, the church was converted into an Islamic seminary. Since 1856 St. Anne’s belongs to the French government and is administrated by the White Fathers, an order of the Catholic Church.
The Church of Mary Magdalene is a Russian Orthodox Church.
The church is dedicated to Mary Magdalene, the follower of Jesus. The church was built in 1886 by the Russian Tsar Alexander III to honor his mother, Maria Alexandrovna.
The Chapel of the Ascension is both a Christian and Muslim holy site. It is believed to mark the place where Jesus ascended to heaven. According to an old tradition, the Chapel contains a stone with the footprint of Jesus. The first church was built around 390 and was destroyed by the Persians in 614. The Crusaders rebuilt and fortified the Church in the 12th-century. In 1187 it was eventually destroyed by the Muslim army of Saladin and the chapel was converted into a mosque. It is currently the site of a mosque, but the remnants of the footprint stone are still there, and the site is visited by many.
Christian tradition indicates this grotto and the garden around it as Gethsemane mentioned in the Bible, the place of the betrayal and arrest of Jesus.
In 1700 Rabbi Yehudah Hachasid (a famous Jewish rabbi) arrived in Jerusalem and settled in the Jewish Quarter near the site of a large synagogue that had been built there (known as the Ashkenazi Courtyard). In 1720 this synagogue was destroyed by the Arabs and was known since as the Rabbi Yehuda Hachasid ruins (Hurva). On the same site in 1864 a new Synagogue was dedicated to Baron Yaakov James Rothschild and named Beit Yaakov – House of Jacob – after him. Beit Yaakov Synagogue was destroyed during the 1948 War of Independence. In the year 2000, the Company for the Reconstruction and Development of the Jewish Quarter began the reconstruction of a new synagogue faithful to the original. The reconstruction project was completed on Passover of 2010.
An impressive underground cruciform church built by the Crusaders (12th century). According to Christian tradition, this is where the Virgin Mary was laid to rest.
The windmill was build in 1857 on a plot of land that was purchased by the Jewish British philanthropist Sir Moses Montefiore.The windmill was constructed by the British millwright Thomas Richard Holman and provided employment and low-cost flour to the Jewish community in Jerusalem for 18 years. The plot of land was also to become the site of Mishkenot Sha’ananim (1960) and Yemin Moshe (1892), the first Jewish neighborhoods outside the Old City walls of Jerusalem built by Montefiore. The windmill ceased to operate in 1876 due to high maintenance costs and new technology that powered windmills with lower-cost steam power. The windmill was never used after that and today it houses a small photographic museum of Montefiore’s travels in the country
During the reign of the Emperor Hadrian, and after the defeat of the Bar Kochva rebellion against Rome in 135, the destroyed city of Jerusalem was rebuilt and renamed Aelia Capitolina. The city was rebuilt along the lines of a Roman city. The cardo was the main north–south-oriented street in ancient Roman cities, with shops and vendors, and was the heart of the economic life.
The Davidson center offers the visitor an in-depth archaeological and historical introduction to the Jerusalem Archaeological Park. One of the highlights of this modern facility is a real-time virtual reality reconstruction of the Herodian Temple Mount as it stood prior to its destruction by Roman troops in the year 70 CE.