(The house of Kathros) The Burnt House consists of the remains of a private home, which stood in what was known during the days of the Second Temple period as the Upper City of Jerusalem. The name”Kathros” is written on one of the stone weights in Aramaic, possibly indicating the name of the owners of the home as the priestly family Kathros. Most poignant of the finds are the bones of a young woman’s forearm and hand stretched out next to a Roman spear.
(The Herodian Quarter) The museum contains archeological remains of a residential quarter, preserved from Herodian times. The area of the present-day Jewish quarter was part of the wealthy “Upper City” of Jerusalem, a Jewish neighborhood overlooking the Temple from the days of the Second Temple period. The findings reveal the lavish lifestyle of the neighborhood’s residents including ritual baths, art works, frescos and stuccos.
A complex of four adjoining synagogues built in different periods of time: Yochanan ben Zakai Synagogue, The Istanbuli Synagogue, Eliyahu Ha’navi Synagogue, and The Emtsai Synagogue. The synagogues are located below street level, as Muslim authorities didn’t permit Jewish houses of worship to be higher than their own. After the fall of the Jewish Quarter during the 1948 Arab-Israeli War the synagogues were burnt and turned into horse stables. After the Six Day War the synagogues were restored.
(Al Haram Al Sharif) Muslim tradition states that Muhammad ascended to heaven from this site in 621. It is identified with the Koranic expression “the farthest mosque” mentioned in the Koran Sura 17 which relates to Mohammed’s Night Journey. The first temporary structure was built in 693 by the Caliph Abd el-Malik who constructed the Dome of the Rock. The first permanent structure was built by his son, Caliph Al-Walid, and was completed in 705.
(Armenian church) The church of St. James is a beautiful building and the religious center of Jerusalem’s Armenian community. The name St. James is the English name for the disciple Jacob who in Christian tradition was martyred by Herod Antipas in 44. The church was originally built in the 11th and 12th centuries over the reputed tomb of St James. The Armenians were the first nation to accept Christianity after King Tiridates III declared Christianity the state religion in 301.The Armenians, who were persecuted by the Persians, Arabs and Turks have had continuous representation in the city since the 5th century.
(Via Dolorosa Station 2) The Franciscan Chapel of the Condemnation to the left which commemorates the condemnation of Jesus, and the Chapel of the Flagellation to the right, where Jesus is said to have been flogged (John 19:16) are both within a courtyard of the Franciscans Monastery of the Flagellation. The Monastery buildings house the Stadium Biblicum Franciscanum, The Faculty of Biblical Sciences and Archaeology of the Pontificia Universitas Antonianum in Rome.
Jewish tradition holds that it is those who are buried on the Mount of Olives who will be the first to be resurrected.
Archaeological site of ancient Jerusalem, named after King David, who captured this Jebusite city called Salem and turned it into his capital in approximately 1000 B.C. (2 Samuel 5: 6-10).
The location of two huge pools that provided water to the Temple Mount. Near these two large pools were five small pools referred to in the New Testament as the spot where Jesus healed the man who waited by the curative waters for 38 years.